The First Taxing District
Originally incorporated in 1836, the Borough of Norwalk became the First Taxing District in 1913 when the City of Norwalk was created by the consolidation of several towns and boroughs.
The central section of Norwalk is an urbanized area in roughly the geographic center of the city, north of South Norwalk and the Connecticut Turnpike. This portion of Norwalk was the Borough of Norwalk from 1836 until incorporation as the first City of Norwalk in 1893. In 1913 the separate cities of Norwalk, South Norwalk, as well as the unincorporated portions of the Town of Norwalk consolidated to form the City of Norwalk that exists to this day.
Central Norwalk is now the First Taxing District of the City of Norwalk. The newly created charted authorized the District to use the water of any stream, lake or pond within the limits of the Towns of Norwalk, Weston, New Canaan, Wilton and Ridgefield to hold, convey and distribute water by means of any necessary reservoirs, pipes, aqueducts, pumps and other suitable works, to take and hold any lands, property or privileges, and to exercise any powers that may be necessary in order that a satisfactory supply of water may be obtained, stored and distributed.