Reduced Rate Eligibility

If you are eligible for any of the following programs through The City of Norwalk, you are automatically eligible for a 50% rate reduction of your quarerly water meter fee with The District. You must fill out the form to the right to get the discount.

Active Duty / Veteran's Exemption

This exemption is available to any active-duty member of the armed forces serving in an active theater of war or hostilities, as well as honorably discharged veterans who served at least 90 days active duty during a war or other recognized military campaign or operation, as designated by state statute.

Additional benefits are available to disabled veterans with certification from the Veterans Administration. Connecticut residents who are active-duty servicemen with a motor vehicle garaged out of state may also qualify for exemption of a motor vehicle.

Additionally, non-Connecticut residents assigned to this state may be entitled to exemption of certain personal property pursuant to the Federal Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act of 1940. Applicable filing requirements must be followed to receive benefits.

Elderly / Disabled Homeowners Tax Relief

State Relief Program
The State of Connecticut Tax Relief ("Circuit Breaker") Program is designed to help elderly homeowners reduce their property tax bills by providing a matching grant to the local municipality. This is done on a sliding scale basis, in which the grant is determined by utilizing the applicants' income versus their assessment. In order to qualify, an applicant must meet certain guidelines:

  • All taxable and non-taxable income is counted, including all social security benefits.
  • Disabled persons under age 65 may also apply with proof of disability.
  • Grants range from $150 to $1,250.
  • Proof of income is required.
  • The applicant must be a legal homeowner.
  • The applicant or spouse must have reached age 65 by December 31 of the year previous to the year in which they are applying
  • The application period is from February 1 to April 15. Applications are good for only two years, after which the recipient must reapply.
  • The income for a married couple may not exceed $36,500.
  • The income for a single, divorced, or widowed individual may not exceed $28,900.
  • The property must be the applicant's principal residence.


City of Norwalk Relief Program

This program is open to both state freeze and circuit breaker applicants. It has the same requirements as the above state circuit breaker program except that the income limit (married or single) is $41,700.

Applicants must have been Norwalk residents and homeowners for at least five years and must be current with all taxes.


© 2016 First District Water Department, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. • Privacy & UseSite Map